Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Morning After


Imagine this. It's the end of a week long vacation from the news, no TV, no radio, no Internet. The sun is shining through the window on a calm and cool fall morning. The radio alarm I set last night goes off. The news is just coming on. I quickly hit the snooze button as I realize that yesterday was election day and it's now the morning after. My first thought is to unplug the alarm, roll over and go back to sleep but I know when I wake up again it will still be the morning after.

What if I hear the President of the United States of America is Hillary Clinton? Oh no! What if it is Barack Obama? Oh, please no! John McCain? Well...Damn.

Looking at it that way and really trying to put myself in that place and time I know I'd feel real fear if it were either of the first two and a mixture of relief and frustration if it is the latter of the three. The old "Lesser of Two Evils".

Thinking of it in this way is kind of like the old flip of the coin trick. If you're not sure what you really want, flip a coin. You'll know what you really wanted by the toss. You'll either be disappointed or relieved. Try it. I use it when I think I don't really care about a particular task or situation. The coin toss will tell me even slightly what I really think.

I don't want to vote for any of them. I even made up my mind I wouldn't vote at all. It's like living in an alternate universe. How did this election cycle go so wrong? Our other posts on here tell the story. I know why, I just keep hoping it's not true, not real but alas, it is.

I'm still struggling with what I will eventually do. I think a vote for McCain, as much as I loathe it, will at least be a vote against the Democrat nominee, whoever it ends up being.

Try this out on yourself. On the morning after, how are you going to feel? I hope this helps for those of you still out there struggling with me.

No comments: